Be Hired: How to Land Your Perfect Job at ARUP
The job search process is not a one-way street. Although ARUP treats all candidates with courtesy and respect, you can facilitate the process and improve your chances of being hired. While the tips below may seem obvious, they bear repeating.
- Be honest. Don’t inflate your resume, misrepresent your work history, or omit relevant information. Complete, honest disclosure is essential to the search process.
- Be flexible. Make every effort to fit appointments and interviews within your schedule. We understand that you have other commitments, but you should make your job search a priority.
- Be prepared. Learn about ARUP and the department and position for which you are applying. Bring an updated, current copy of your resume with you, and ask relevant questions during the interview, avoiding those whose answers you can easily find on our Web site. Think through answers to questions about your qualifications and past work history.
- Be on time. Arrive before your interview’s scheduled time. Arriving even a few minutes late is unprofessional and creates a negative impression.
- Be professional. Dress in a manner that shows you are serious about the position for which you are applying. Conservative, neat clothing and business-appropriate appearance is a must. ARUP prides itself on a relaxed work environment, but sloppy, tight, or revealing clothing reflects poorly on you as a candidate. If you are applying for a laboratory position, wear closed-toe shoes so that you can tour the lab areas.
- Be yourself. Relax and answer each question concisely. Be polite, cooperative, and enthusiastic. Avoid asking salary-related questions unless a job offer is made. Thank the interviewer when you leave and follow up in writing.
While these suggestions will not guarantee you a position with ARUP, they can greatly increase your chances of employment. We wish you the best of luck in your job search.
ARUP's Recruiting Team