Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) describes tests that are currently available to diagnose and manage COVID-19. It provides basic information about who should be tested, how specimens should be collected, and how to interpret test results. Check back for frequent updates as the environment around COVID-19 testing continues to evolve.
Respiratory Viruses provides an overview of the basic testing strategy for common respiratory viruses, including SARS-CoV-2 and influenza, whereas Influenza offers more specific details about preferred testing for primary diagnosis of the flu.
Also available is a 2019 Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Test Fact Sheet, a brief document with essentials about the COVID-19 tests offered at ARUP.
Resources for COVID-19 Test Validation and Verification
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the College of American Pathologists (CAP), and The Joint Commission provide resources to aid laboratories in validation/verification of molecular diagnostic tests for COVID-19.
- FDA: Policy for Diagnostic Tests for Coronavirus Disease-2019 during the Public Health Emergency
- CAP Responds to Your COVID-19 Questions: Test Method Validation/Verification
- The Joint Commission: COVID-19 - Validation of COVID-19 Test
The Association of Molecular Pathology (AMP) provides a list of vendors offering commercially available SARS-CoV-2 reference material.
U.S. Government Resources
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Evaluating and Testing Persons for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Update and Interim Guidance on Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- COVID-19 Information for Healthcare Professionals
- COVID-19 Information for Laboratories
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration FAQs for Diagnostic Testing for SARS-CoV-2
Medical Association Resources
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) COVID-19 Testing Directory
- Association for Molecular Pathology Testing Resources for COVID-19
The Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Testing Insights Initiative provides public access to COVID-19 testing data, resources, and expert analysis