Skip to main content
Ryan A. Metcalf, MD, CQA(ASQ)
Medical Director: ARUP Blood Services and Immunohematology Reference Lab
Assistant Professor, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Clinical pathology
- Transfusion medicine
- Medical Degree—University of California Davis School of Medicine
- Residency—Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Transfusion Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine
- American Board of Pathology (Blood Bank/Transfusion Medicine, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology)
- Patient blood management
- Data-driven quality management
- Gavva C, et al. Response to random apheresis platelets versus HLA-selected platelets versus pooled platelets in HLA-sensitized patients. Transfusion. 2019 Jul;59(7):2276–81.
- Metcalf RA, et al. The association of inpatient blood utilization and diagnosis related group weight: implications for risk-adjusted benchmarking. Transfusion. 2019 Jul;59(7):2316–23.
- Pagano MB, et al. Evaluating safety and cost-effectiveness of platelets stored in additive solution (PAS-F) as a hemolysis risk mitigation strategy. Transfusion. 59(4):1246–51.
- Metcalf RA, Calvaresi E, Tonna JE, Blaylock R, Pearson L (2019). Severe hemolysis following extracorporeal right ventricular assist device placement. Transfusion. 2019 Apr;59(4): 1178–9.
- Murphy C, et al. Transfusion associated chest pain. Transfusion. 2019 Feb;59(2):463–9.
- Metcalf RA, et al. Severe ABO hemolytic disease of the newborn requiring exchange transfusion. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2019 Nov;41(8):632–4.
- Metcalf RA, et al. A data-driven patient blood management strategy in liver transplantation. Vox Sang. 2018 May 1.
- Corean J, et al. Quality improvement after multiple fatal transfusion-transmitted bacterial infections. Am J Clin Pathol. 2018 Mar 7;149(4):293–9.
- Pagano MB, et al. A high plasma: red blood cell transfusion ratio during liver transplantation is associated with decreased blood utilization. Vox Sang. 2018 Apr;113(3):268–74.
- Hess JR, et al. Quality management of a massive transfusion protocol. Transfusion. 2018 Feb;58(2):480–4.
- Mays, JA, et al. Transfusion support for transgender men of childbearing age. Transfusion. 2018 Mar;58(3):823–5.
- Hess JR, et al. Building a new transfusion service. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 Aug 1;148(2):173–8.
- Metcalf RA, et al. Clinical Pattern in Hypotensive Transfusion Reactions. Anesth Analg. 2016 Aug;123(2):268–73.
- Metcalf RA, et al. Transportation cooler interventions reduce plasma and RBC product wastage. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Jul;146(1):18–24.
- Hartmann S, et al. Immunoarchitectural patterns of progressive transformation of germinal centers with and without nodular lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma. Hum Pathol. 2015 Nov;46(11):1655–61.
- Metcalf RA, et al. Extracavitary primary effusion lymphoma presenting in a lymph node without lymphomatous effusions. Hum Pathol (NY). 2015 Jun;2(2):36–41.
- Treetipsatit J, et al. Large B-cell lymphoma with T-cell-rich background and nodules lacking follicular dendritic cell meshworks: description of an insufficiently recognized variant. Hum Pathol. 2015 Jan;46(1):74–83.